Where sports and politics intersect
A recent survey of sports fans and political leaning/likelihood of voting revealed some interesting insights as to where sports and politics intersect. In case you missed the infographic…
First, insights that were already obvious…
- PGA fans rank as most conservative and most likely to vote.
- Women’s sports are skewed more liberal than men’s sports
- College sports rank solidly Republican and likely to vote
- The sport with the largest fan base that’s not Republican-leaning is NBA
But there were plenty of insights that are surprising (to me at least)…
- Look how far apart Monster Trucks and NASCAR are. It’s night and day. I would have expected those two to be hand-in-hand, similar to where profession bull riding is. It makes me wonder who actually attends monster truck rallies.
- Men’s tennis is skewed much farther to the Democrat side than I expected. I thought tennis and golf usually appealed to similar audiences.
- What makes motocross more conservative than other extreme sports? Not surprised though that voter turnout is similar between the two.